Outdoor Activity Instructor
Post title: Outdoor Activity Instructor
Hours: Full time, fixed term contract until 31st October 2019
Location: Ackers Adventure
Reports to: Activity Manager
Overall purpose of the post
To deliver high quality programmes of outdoor learning to young people and adults. A proportion of the work will be weekends.
Key tasks and roles:
- To deliver and evaluate high quality programmes of outdoor learning ensuring that the highest standards of health and safety for clients and staff are maintained.
- To ensure that accompanying staff / visiting staff are fully briefed and clearly understand their responsibilities and duties during the visit / programme.
- To maintain designated teaching / activity equipment and teaching / activity facilities used by the client groups and staff and ensure that the highest standards of Health and Safety are achieved.
- To provide cover as Duty Manager on a rota basis, To ensure the smooth running of the centre whilst on duty, and providing an initial response to any incidents or emergencies.
- To demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs.
- To ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for your health, safety and welfare and that of other persons, and to comply with the centre’s policies and procedures relating to health and safety.
- To carry out any other duties which fall within the broad spirit, scope and purpose of this job description and which are commensurate with the grade of the post.
This job description reflects the major tasks to be carried out by the post holder and identifies a level of responsibility at which they will be required to work. In the interests of effective working, the major tasks may be reviewed from time to time to reflect changing needs and circumstances. Such reviews and any consequential changes will be carried out in consultation with the post holder.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
This post requires satisfactory clearance of an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service
National Governing Body Awards in 2 or more of the following:
- Rock Climbing
D of E Supervisor/Assessor
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
At least 1 season’s teaching / instructing / youth work experience.
Knowledge of the Uk education system
Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety, including the requirements of LOTC quality badge.
Experience of leading Bushcraft.
Experience of leading low ropes sessions.
Experience of Leading Zip wire and Fan descender sessions.
Knowledge and experience of working with adults and special needs groups.
ABILITY AND SKILLS
A current first aid certificate
A full driving licence
Ability to demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s
behaviour, physical, social and welfare needs.